Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The “Other” Sirocco

I knew there were several books out there with that title. (There is even a 1951 Humphrey Bogart movie.) Still, to come face to face with another contemporary Sirocco was a bit startling at first. Naturally, and because of its beautiful cover as well as reading the ‘Look Inside’ on Amazon, I was intrigued enough to buy “the other” Sirocco written by Danielle A. Dahl.
I am so glad I did.


While our two stories are completely different (Danielle’s being a delightful yet heart-wrenching memoir and mine a pure archaeological adventure fiction), we both use the fierce Mediterranean wind as a symbol of foreboding.
I asked Danielle about her life other than what I read in her Sirocco, and she tells us this:
“A voracious reader, I cultivate my passion for the power and magic of words. When asked, ‘Who's your favorite author?’ ‘Steinbeck,’ is my straight-from-the-heart answer. For love of languages, I speak French—but of course. English—indubitably. And Spanish—por qué no?’
“On my time away from writing, I like to paint, take photos, bowl, and hike. Ah, oui! Last, but not least, I'm raving mad about dark chocolate.
“I am a member of the South Carolina Writers Workshop, Sisters in Crime, the National Association of Memoir Writers, the Southern Indie Booksellers Alliance, and the Seneca Writers Critique Group.
“I am also a member of Le Cercle Franco-Americain and The French Underground, both in Greenville, SC.
“Sirocco was finalist in the 2015 Next Generation Indie Book Awards
1) In the Historical Non-Fiction category,
2) In the Historical/Legacy category.
“Two of my creative nonfiction stories appeared in the 2011 and 2012 Petigru Review Literary Journal.
“I won second place in the 2011 Carrie McCray Memorial Literary Awards for nonfiction.
“Lastly, I was semi-finalist in the 2011 William Faulkner Wisdom Competition for a novel-in-progress as well as for a short story.
“At present, I am translating SIROCCO to French and am writing the first draft of MISTRAL, SIROCCO's sequel, depicting the struggle, which I, my family, and over a million others like us, faced after we fled Algeria and searched for new places to call home in France or across the globe.”

Thank you, Danielle, for letting us look deeper into your past. Actually, it struck me that our paths might easily have crossed at some time, as I was an au pair student in Paris in 1962, and then also lived in Chicago until the late 1960s after my job transfer there from Austria.
What a pity. I would have liked to have met you then; but am glad I am doing it now (at least via the Internet through our mutual passion for writing).


Back to Sirocco: A French Girl Comes of Age in War-Torn Algeria.

The following is my Amazon Review of this coming-of age memoir:

Delightful and ForebodingNaturally, the title intrigued me. Danielle A. Dahl’s Sirocco starts out with the day-to-day recollections of an adolescent girl growing up in Algeria during the early 1960s. Her French parents and four siblings are happy with their lives. While having to be frugal, they are respected members of the community comprised of other Pieds Noirs (all French expressions are made beautifully clear throughout the book), as well as their Arab neighbors, friends and colleagues.When Algeria’s desire to self-rule rears its head, it all changes. The family is given a choice: To leave their home with a suitcase; or to stay in a coffin. Such is the heartbreak behind any revolution; the price to pay by those who had made a foreign country their home.Ms. Dahl’s writing comes straight from the heart, yet without sentimentality or rancor; in short, it is delightful, insightful, humorous and sad all at the same time - a wondrous window into a world most of us know little about. I highly recommend this beautifully written memoir.                     Inge H. Borg, Author of Sirocco, Storm over Land and Sea



                                                                   
Most of us are not familiar with the city of Constantine nor might you be aware of its dramatic setting. I certainly wasn’t. Danielle’s website features astonishing and hauntingly beautiful photographs. Sitting as it does atop a formidable rock, the city overlooks deep chasms connected to the outside world by death-defying bridges and roads.
I could almost feel the echo of the howling sirocco; an inescapable portent to those wrecked lives during the 1960s.
I would urge you to check the blog out here: http://www.dadahl.com/#!page4/cfvg

Ms. Dahl’s writing has been described as “lush, richly evocative, bittersweet and brilliant” by other readers, and I wholeheartedly agree.
Ms. Dahl is already working on her next storm, the Mistral, where she and her family come to face as they find refuge in an inhospitable France.
In keeping with my own stormy theme, I almost chose that title for Book 3 of my Legends of the Winged Scarab. Eventually though, I settled on a world After the Cataclysm (as the story takes my protagonists into the South Atlantic, well away from Mediterranean storms – to which they only return in The Crystal Curse and The Nile Conspiracy). If you feel this is a shameless little plug for my Sirocco, you are not wrong...
However, do yourselves a favor and read Danielle Dahl’s book. I found it a brilliantly-cut diamond among the pebbles:

4 comments:

  1. As different in content as Inge's Sirocco and mine are, they "both use the fierce Mediterranean wind as a symbol of foreboding." And both tell of a fierce land that portends of adventure and danger.
    Thanks, Inge, for such a complimenting review. Am looking forward to reading YOUR Sirocco. Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a privilege to read and then showcase YOUR Sirocco, Danielle. I am looking forward to MISTRAL.

      Delete
  2. This post fascinated me so much I looked up Pieds Noir on Wiki to get an idea of the history. Wow, chock full of drama! Inge wrote an awesome review, and the memoir sounds brilliant! Wishing Danielle much success with the upcoming sequel. Thanks for the review, Inge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you stopped by Lexa (and even learned something new about another history on your vast and varied continent--as did I when I read "the other" Sirocco).

    ReplyDelete