Sunday, January 5, 2014

My Most Cherished Words (2)

A day ago, my colleague in writing historical fiction, the talented Diana Wilder, author of The Memphis Cycle, interviewed me for her always entertaining and informative blog. You can read the Interview here:

One of her questions was to tell her about passages in my books that I am most proud of. It made me think. From it stemmed my belief that “my most cherished words” were penned in the Prologues of my historical fiction books.

I already told you about the one for Khamsin, The Devil Wind of the Nile.
Now, let me show you the one for its modern-day but stand-alone sequel.
I really like this novel. It is current, relatable, and more on the thriller-side than its prequel (you may need some Dramamine for the stormy passages).

* * *

Prologue from Sirocco, Storm over Land and Sea
(Book 2 – Legends of the Winged Scarab – 2012 AD)



Trexa! Sorokos!”
Barely, the fishermen pull their boats onto shore when the storm arrives all in a rush, malevolent and laden with Libyan Desert sand.
“Run! Sirocco!” Again, the men cry the warning against the feared wind that had spawned over the Sahara. After giving birth to its unbridled son Khamsin, the Devil Wind of the Nile, it froths the waters of the Mediterranean and mercilessly claws at the islands in its path, scything the coastal shrub into stubble.
The old women of Crete call it The Big Tongue. Innocent-looking at first, a lazy yellow haze comes drifting north. It grows larger, turning the air into choking ochre mist. Its hot breath churns the sea and drives salt spray deep into the island’s interior. As if on cue, tempers turn sour and people suddenly find fault with friend and neighbor. Fights erupt over nothing. Secretly harbored thoughts of suicide and murder attack the mind as voraciously as wild goats strip young plane trees bare. All things bad can now be blamed on the Sirocco.
It is only when the cool steady meltemia breezes blow again out of the northwest that the island breathes a sigh of relief, and much is forgiven.

* * *
Once again, Diana matched the writing on the cover for SIROCCO to that of her design for Khamsin. (Forgive us, Master Rembrandt, but I needed a storm at sea - besides, I still hope someone will recognize this stolen painting and call the authorities.)

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment