Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A to Z challenge - "M"


M for "Mayday,Mayday."


Researching the purported sightings of the real ghost ship I am fictionalizing in my novel “After the Cataclysm,” I came across an official website that warns mariners of hazards at sea. The dangers that lurk on an apparently empty ocean are as diverse as they seem to be numerous.

Hence, whether you are a sailor or an aviator—or even a radio amateur monitoring those frequencies--these distress signals must instill fear and empathy in your heart especially if the indication is that there is danger of loss of life. You immediately realize that someone, somewhere is in peril. Unless, of course, you are the one sending an SOS out into the ether. Then your fear becomes eclipsed by pure terror.

Most dispatches are banal, devoid of urgency and only those familiar with the way of the sea know what is behind them. Somebody out there is in trouble, and an “assist if possible” and a “sharp lookout” – they always add - may not be sufficient to save someone's life.

These daily messages read something like this:

WESTERN NORTH ATLANTIC.BAHAMAS.
DISTRESS SIGNAL RECEIVED FROM 83 FOOT VESSEL SOUND
IN 25-34.73N 078-28.33W.
VESSELS IN VICINITY REQUESTED TO KEEP A SHARP LOOKOUT, ASSIST
IF POSSIBLE. REPORTS TO U.S. COAST GUARD MIAMI




My heart goes out to those in peril. The sea can be a merciless mistress to those who love her. I may have turned into an armchair sailor, but I still hear the ocean’s siren song. I must follow it; but these days, I do it through my writing.

     

7 comments:

  1. The vastness of the ocean scares me no end! (www.thetaxchic.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do it through writing too. I love the ocean but its power is frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - found a type - hate that. Once again:

      @Bron and @Julie,
      Yes, indeed, that vast expanse of water is nothing to trifle with. Between us, I liked anchoring the best! Swinging on the hook in a secluded cove with nobody else around...and just when you drop off to sleep, the skipper says: "I sure hope the anchor holds." A man knows that he then can sleep blissfully - because the woman stays awake, listening, worrying!

      Delete
  4. Mother nature is certainly something to respect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following from Blogging AtoZ.
    I'm writing "Things My Husband Has Broken" A to Z at http://AMomsPointOfView.com
    Come by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you feel your husband is a whirlwind rushing through the house. Since I don't have one of those, I'll come over and live vicariously...

      Delete